The day began with wonderful service attended by church members new and old, including ministers and members who were there 50 years ago.
They were joined by President of the Uniting Church in Australia Dr Deidre Palmer, the Moderator of the Synod of NSW/ACT Rev. Simon Hansford, Chairperson of Georges River Presbytery Rev. Graeme Watkins, Assembly Associate General Secretary Rob Floyd and National Director of UnitingWorld Dr Sureka Goringe, as well as members of the Middle East National Conference from different states and local members of Parliament, representatives of the local Council and Christian organisations.
Together more than 350 people celebrated our 50th Anniversary of the Church’s foundation.
The Tongan choir sang (as only they can), a Korean traditional instrument was played during the offering, prayers were said in Arabic, and many other cultures took part in the service.
The President opened the “Crosstalk” Book Shop, a new outreach initiative at Bankstown Uniting Church.
The Book Shop has books in different languages, computers to provide access to the internet and printing and a coffee shop.
It will provide a safe place for people from the wider community to meet, relax, share a coffee and make new friends.
Bankstown Uniting Church today has members from 30 different countries around the world.
To celebrate this, a luncheon was held after the service with 12 tables groaning under the load of national food from Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Syria/Lebanon, Ghana, Vietnam, Malaysia, China, Sri Lanka, Armenia and, of course, Australia.
Rev. Simon Hansford cut the magnificent cake, decorated with the celebratory logo.
Bankstown is a truly multicultural region, and the Bankstown Uniting Church is representative of the area. It was wonderful to see people of all different backgrounds and of all different ages not only mixing together, but worshipping and celebrating God’s love in the world and especially in Bankstown.
We will definitely continue to grow together in Christ.
Uniting Church history in Bankstown
- 1915 – First Presbyterian services were held in Bankstown
- 1946 – Bankstown Presbyterian War Memorial Church built in Rickard Road
- 1968 – Foundations laid for the “new” Bankstown Presbyterian Church in Kitchener Parade, Bankstown, where are we today.
- 1977 – Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches united and our church became the “The Uniting Church in Australia, Bankstown District”.