Not everyone can attend the events taking place on the day, but there are many other ways you can get behind the younger generation leading the call to action.
Here are some ideas:
- Meet with a group of your friends, colleagues or fellow students and take a photo of yourselves standing behind an appropriate sign or banner. Here is one suggestion. Share the photo with us.
- Display a sign or banner in front of your Church expressing your commitment to act on Climate Change. It will be great encouragement to young people and others who see it. Use existing signboards or paint a message on an old sheet and display it. Alternatively, you could print the UCA logo and For the Whole Creation sign here.
- If your Church has a bell, one suggestion is to ring your bell at the same time as the Climate Action event happening in your area. Alternatively, you might toll the bells 11 times at 11am – recognising the 11th hour or tipping point for our planet.
- Contact young people you know who are going to a climate rally and let them know you support them in this action – phone, text, email or send a personal card.
- Show your support online by sharing a social media post on the day, either by sharing from the Assembly Facebook page, or create your own.
- Hold an environmentally themed service or liturgy. See some great ideas as part of the Season of Creation.
- Write a letter to your local paper saying why you support these events and calling for more action by government
- Adjust your lifestyle to reduce your own carbon emissions - choose from an idea listed here. Check how your lifestyle contributes to greenhouse gas emissions with the Australian Greenhouse Calculator (AGC).
- Send a letter to your local Member of Parliament using ideas here.
- Watch the recent David Attenborough documentary, Climate Change: The Facts.
- Whatever you do, tells others about it. Use hashtags like #ClimateStrike #CareforCreation #UCA #ClimateAction and #noplanetB.
Whether you can attend a march on the day, or would like to show your support, everyone is encouraged to sign up here
Here are some details for events taking place in capital cities with information specific to Uniting Church members. Please join in where ever and for as long as you are able.
SYDNEY CLIMATE STRIKE
20 Sep 2019 @ 12pm, The Domain, Art Gallery Rd, Sydney
UCA people being led by Christian Students Uniting. Meet 9.30am at Pitt St Uniting Church for worship service. Leaving Pitt St at 11.40am to march to the Domain.
MELBOURNE CLIMATE STRIKE
20 Sep 2019 @2 pm, Old Treasury Building, 20 Spring Street, Melbourne.
UCA people meet at 1:45pm at the water fountain at the corner of Spring Street and Macarthur Street, at the Gordon Fountain.
A multi-faith service will take place at 11am at Wesley Church, 148 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.
BRISBANE CLIMATE STRIKE
20 Sep 2019 @ 1pm, Queens Gardens, 144 George St Brisbane
PERTH CLIMATE STRIKE
20 Sep 2019 @ 11:00am, Forest Pl, Perth
UCA people encouraged to meet with the Australian Religious Response to Climate Change (ARRCC) group. Look for the ARRCC WA banner near the Floating Marble Ball in Forrest Place at 10.45am.
ADELAIDE CLIMATE STRIKE
20 Sep 2019 @ 12:00pm, Victoria Square, Adelaide. Victoria Sq, Adelaide
UCA members are invited to wear red and assemble in the forecourt of Pilgrim Uniting Church on Flinders street at 11:30am before moving to Victoria Square together.
NEWCASTLE CLIMATE STRIKE
Civic Park. King St, Newcastle.
UCA members will be gathering at Civic Park at 11.40 for a shared prayer time before joining the demonstration. Meet to the right of the fountain, on the grass level near the trees.