Tools for Listening - A Safe Church Resource
Tools for Listening is a practical guide to engaging children and young people in your community on decisions that affect them.
This resource has been developed by the Uniting Church in Australia to enable the implementation of:
- Principle 2 from the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations: “Children and young people are informed about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously”.
- Recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse:
- That children and young people are involved in the strategic development, design, implementation and evaluation of initiatives
- That children participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously
- That families and communities are informed and involved
Tools for Listening will assist you in the process of consulting, involving and collaborating with children, young people and adults on programs and activities in any Uniting Church entity.
You can use Tools for Listening when planning or reviewing your programs and activities to:
- Consult with community members, families and children when planning a new program or activity
- Include and consider feedback when reviewing a program or activity
- Inform people new to your program or activity about codes of conduct and the feedback process
Tools for Listening - Explanatory Notes
Tool 1 - Foster Genuine Engagement
Tool 2 - Plan for Safety
Tool 3 - Tips for Listening
A3 Poster for Children & Young People
A3 Poster for Adults
A5 Flyer for Children & Young People
A5 Flyer for Adults
A4 Feedback Sheet for Children & Young People
A4 Feedback Sheet for Adults
Tools for Listening is recommended by:
- Uniting Aboriginal and Islander Christian Congress
- National Association for Prevention of Child abuse and Neglect
- National Council of Churches in Australia
This resource will continue to be improved with your thoughts and ideas.